Side project – the ‘Last Guitar Hero’
This is a short post about one of the most ambitious personal projects i’ve ever undertaken;
The Last Guitar Hero.
Last Guitar Hero is a short film, shot entirely in ‘first person’ perspective and in Stereoscopic 3D using 2 Cameras. It is an visual effects-heavy short film with computer generated characters & visual effects, all of which are composited in a completely stereo3D environment. I started work on this film as part of my final honours year project & spent 13 weeks in an attempt to start and complete the project, but unfortunately did not finish the film in time! I did, however, learn a great deal during these 13 weeks –
I learn’t a lot of what NOT to do on a Stereo3D job – and in that respect, it was a successful research project.
I have started a website for the Last Guitar Hero in order to track the production of this project, to share my thoughts and techniques, and to hopefully document the mistakes I make on the way! My plan with this personal project is to:
- Create a short film that really pays homage to 2 of my favourite loves: Goldeneye n64 & Music
- Create & working pipeline for Stereo3D visual effects using ‘standard’ affordable software (no Flame or NukeX allowed!)
I have received a lot of support from friends, classmates, mentors and workmates who have helped me work on the film so far, and I hope to finish the film in my spare time over the next year so I can thank them all, and show them what all the hard work was for!
I hope I can share some more good news about this project in the not too distant future!
About the author
- My VR Stealth Game Prototype – Espire 1: VR OperativeFebruary 14, 2017
- Reel Pictures VR Diary Ep04 – VR CAD Model ViewerOctober 19, 2016
- I help “drive” 3ds MaxMay 17, 2016
- “Goosh” shown at Lana Lights 2015, ItalyApril 26, 2015
- Vray Tutorial – Vray Embree HelperNovember 3, 2012
- W.I.W.O: Week 32 – VSSEC Mission to Mars in Stereoscopic 3DAugust 12, 2012